Saving Time in Dreamweaver cs4
tony
2009-12-04 09:25:35 UTC
Hi i have a small site with 10 pages i have a side bar on all of these pages
and the content within the side bar is all the same on each
my question is
how can i edit this side bar once for all pages instead of doing them
individually
many thanks for you time
Duncan Kennedy
2009-12-04 10:10:44 UTC
Post by tony
Hi i have a small site with 10 pages i have a side bar on all of these
pages and the content within the side bar is all the same on each
my question is
how can i edit this side bar once for all pages instead of doing them
individually
many thanks for you time
Yes - you need to have a look at instructions for "Library" or the
little book symbol in Assets. It is actually quite easy once you've
found the way in. The sidebar code winds up in a Library folder. After,
that you simply open the Library item - the code for your sidebar - and
amend that - saving should result in a question about applying it to all
the files.

If you get stuck come back and I'll see what I can find.
--
Duncan K
Downtown Dalgety Bay
tony
2009-12-04 11:01:07 UTC
Thanks Duncan
That's exactly what i need to do, just looked on YouTube and yes its all
there thank you very much
indeed
tony
Downtown Dalgety Bay
Duncan Kennedy
2009-12-04 14:32:24 UTC
Post by tony
Thanks Duncan
That's exactly what i need to do, just looked on YouTube and yes its
all there thank you very much
indeed
Good - have fun! It is actually a great help.
--
Duncan K
Downtown Dalgety Bay
HappyJack
2009-12-05 18:33:22 UTC
On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:32:24 +0000, Duncan Kennedy
Post by Duncan Kennedy
Post by tony
Thanks Duncan
That's exactly what i need to do, just looked on YouTube and yes its
all there thank you very much
indeed
Good - have fun! It is actually a great help.
Tiz a neat feature indeed. I wish Apache had some code that would let you update
the lib file to the server and then propogate the changes to the files on the
server that use the lib. And I don't mean any fancy PHP skullduggery either :)
...just a snippet of DW code in or near the server kernel that would do the
trick.

Updating and then FTP'ing isn't really much trouble, but the automation would be
nice.
Rguy84
2009-12-11 05:13:50 UTC
Post by tony
Thanks Duncan
That's exactly what i need to do, just looked on YouTube and yes its
all there thank you very much
indeed
Good - have fun!  It is actually a great help.
Tiz a neat feature indeed. I wish Apache had some code that would let you update
the lib file to the server and then propogate the changes to the files on the
server that use the lib. And I don't mean any fancy PHP skullduggery either :)
...just a snippet of DW code in or near the server kernel that would do the
trick.
Updating and then FTP'ing isn't really much trouble, but the automation would be
nice.
Jack why don't you set your site up in DW? There is an option to auto-
push on save I think
HappyJack
2009-12-11 23:33:13 UTC
Post by HappyJack
the lib file to the server and then propogate the changes to the files on the
server that use the lib. And I don't mean any fancy PHP skullduggery either :)
...just a snippet of DW code in or near the server kernel that would do the
trick.
Updating and then FTP'ing isn't really much trouble, but the automation would be
nice.
Jack why don't you set your site up in DW? There is an option to auto-
push on save I think
AFAIK it only updates the local files, but then you must FTP them to the server.
I haven't found an auto-push, and DW is terribly slow at FTP, so slow I still
use Ipswitch.
Duncan Kennedy
2009-12-12 10:16:33 UTC
Post by HappyJack
the lib file to the server and then propogate the changes to the files on the
server that use the lib. And I don't mean any fancy PHP skullduggery either :)
...just a snippet of DW code in or near the server kernel that would do the
trick.
Updating and then FTP'ing isn't really much trouble, but the
automation would be
nice.
Jack why don't you set your site up in DW? There is an option to auto-
push on save I think
AFAIK it only updates the local files, but then you must FTP them to the server.
I haven't found an auto-push, and DW is terribly slow at FTP, so slow I still
use Ipswitch.
I must admit I like to keep control of FTP but then, updating several
sites daily to different servers, I use 2 computers - one as a
workstation for development and one as an internet connection - so that
I *force myself to backup every time.

But I thought Dreamweaver could do its own FTP although I have never
looked.
--
Duncan K
Downtown Dalgety Bay
HappyJack
2009-12-12 19:23:06 UTC
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:16:33 +0000, Duncan Kennedy
Post by Duncan Kennedy
But I thought Dreamweaver could do its own FTP although I have never
looked.
Indeed it does, but in the time it takes DW to "think it over" and get it done,
I can fire up FTP WS_FTP Pro and be done in 20 seconds and have time for a
beer:)