Microsoft Excel Files opening as CFM Files
pgoetz0428
2004-03-01 20:24:12 UTC
Hello,

I have posted quite a few files but when I open them, they are opening up as
cfm files through Dreamweaver instead of Excel. When I go to PCs that don't
have Dreamweaver they open in excel but are called "CFM_1" in the title. What
am I doing wrong? I already have tried to save them as Microsoft Excel 97-2000
&5.0/95 Workbook but it doesn't help.
Alan Ames
2004-03-01 20:30:28 UTC
more info??

what file extension do the files have?
what are the files?
what created the files?

as a guess- are you trying to make .xls files dynamically on the server,
and force a download? If yes- some of the ways to do that; it winds up that
some browsers will save the file with the filename of the script url.
For example- if you are creating 24.xls using this url:
make_xlsfile.cfm?24.xls
that may be saved by the user with a default filename of
make_xlsfile.cfm
So when it's double-clicked, it opens in whatever they've assigned to handle
the .cfm file extension.

there may be ways around it- depending on what other info you can supply.
There's always the good backup idea to explain to users what file type the
download is, and what they should rename it to, if it fails to open in the
proper application.