FTP suddenly stopped working Dreamweaver MX 2004
April May
2010-07-13 20:02:42 UTC
I have been using Dreamweaver MX 2004 for years on Mac G5. No problems
at all connecting with FTP.

Over last 2 days I have tried to connect using FTP and I get error.
"An FTP error has occurred. The server is not responding. Please check
your connection information."

I have several sites and they are on different hosting servers, none
of them will connect with Dreamweaver. And it immediately gives the
error, doesn't seem to be an attempt from Dreamweaver to connect.

I can connect to the sites using other FTP access programs, eg. Fetch,
so I know it is not the information, passwords etc.

Nothing has changed on my computer, I have not had a crash or changed
anything, nothing has changed on the servers.

I figured it was some prefs file that possibly corrupted and needed to
be removed and the program restarted to create new prefs, but that
wasn't it either.

Would some kind of bug or virus mess this up? would it attack a mac? I
do not seem to be having any problems with anything else.

I am at a loss, I cannot understand what would make it all of a sudden
stop working. Any advice or ideas are great appreciated.
Duncan Kennedy
2010-07-13 21:27:59 UTC
Post by April May
[...]
As a Mac user f9Dreamweaver CS4) for a year or so I don't subscribe to
the belief that Macs are immune - but I can't imagine why some malware
would attack Dreamweaver FTP and not your other FTP programs.

I'm not familiar enough with Macs to comment except one suggestion that
borders on waving burning chicken bones but worked yesterday here when
Thunderbird suddenly failed to connect. I launhed as usual from
Dashboard and that's what failed - in desparation I eventually launched
directly from the Applications folder.

Like you, nothing on my system had changed. I dragged the icon off
dashboard and replaced it with the one from the running application - it
is still working.

Aternatively, kill the data on one of your server accesses and set up a
new connection for it - to see if the file which holds that has become
corrupt (particularly the password as you usually can't see that (I
don't use Dreamweaver for FTP sp don't have the details)

I wonder if there has been a Mac update with a problem (everything else
seems OK).

If nobody arrives here with the answer you might want to try the
official Adobe Forums on their web site - sadly, they gave up this group
15 months ago.
duncank
April May
2010-07-13 21:43:29 UTC
i kinda doubt its a virus or like but I am grasping.

I did as you suggested but to no avail.

I was hoping this has happened to others and they had a quick, fix.

I just cant understand why it would all of a sudden just stop working
only in DW.

I first thought it was server, maybe changed or something like that
but since i have sites on different servers and none of the connect I
figure its something in my program has gone bad, or outdated that it
doesnt work anymore with internet, i just dont know.

thanks for responding
Jetasia
2010-07-19 07:40:34 UTC
Post by Duncan Kennedy
Post by April May
[...]
duncank- Hide quoted text -
Duncan this may be a little off topic but how do I close the gaps in
the background color in sidebar one and sidebar two? These new
templates are great but balance of CSS properties and HTML seems to be
quite a chore. Once I thinkI have the color changed in Dreamweaver the
web appears different than appear in in dreamweaver. I also need an
organized way to place photos without all the frames showing up.I am
ready to add photos and product information linked to PDF's but until
I know the template will work properly everything is on hold. I would
appreciate any advice or direction in CSS CS5, Thanks, Jetasia Here
is the link... http://ledelectronicsusa.com/
Duncan Kennedy
2010-07-19 18:23:49 UTC
Post by Jetasia
Duncan this may be a little off topic but how do I close the gaps in
the background color in sidebar one and sidebar two?
Hi Jetasia

You have a style called ".container" but it's missing in the code. I
put it in like this:

- - - - - - - - - -

alink="#FF0000">

- - - - - - - - - - - -

(The </div> seems to be there OK at the bottom)

and changed the colour of the "background colour" of the .container
style to the same blue as the rest (03F) - that works but may have
changed some other colours - is so - come back. (OK in a quick test I
managed to end up with one header Div grey and one blue in two separate
pages and I can't find the difference - yet!)
Post by Jetasia
These new templates are great but balance of CSS properties and HTML
seems to be
You seem to have a bit of duplication - like "background" and
"background-color" and some Page settings trying to fight with the CSS -
you can probably ignore the Page settings - I would sort these out so
you have just one attribute for each unless, for example, you want the
text to have a different background to the DIV it is placed in.
Post by Jetasia
I also need an organized way to place photos without all the frames showing
up. I am ready to add photos and product information linked to PDF's but
until I know the template will work properly everything is on hold. I would
appreciate any advice or direction in CSS CS5,
I'm not sure which frames you mean here. Could it be in the "table"?
If so simply highlight the table in Design view and change the border
attribute in the properties bar (I'm on CS4 on a Mac here) to 0 instead
of the 2 it is set at. If you have any problems with borders appearing
on the individual photos do the same - there is a border entry that
needs a zero in that case (although you seem to have fixed the
infuriating blue border on photo links with your link styles.)

Personally, if you are planning the same layout on all or most of your
pages I would prefer to use a separate style sheet referenced from each
page - that way you only have to ament the styles once.

There appears to be somethinh wrong with your navigation bar - it seems
to lose the text on roll-over - perhaps you intended that. My own
preference for this type of menu is to use Spry from the Dreamweaver
menu and then make that a library item so you only need to amen that
once every time it changes.

I'm sure others will have their own ideas but if I can help don't
hesitate to come back and I'll try - I never claim to be an expert even
if I have been using Dreamweaver since V2 - there is a lot I don't need.

If you want to contact me direct try obg at otterson-bg dot com and make
the subject something that will catch my eye.
Post by Jetasia
Here is the link... http://ledelectronicsusa.com/
Thanks for that - it really does help.
duncank
Duncan Kennedy
2010-07-21 11:19:56 UTC
Duncan Kennedy <***@nospamottersonbg.couk> wrote:

Realised I probably shouldn'y have changed the Subject if you are on
Google Groups - here it is again in case I lost you.
duncank
Jetasia
2010-07-23 09:53:37 UTC
Post by Jetasia
 Here is the link...  http://ledelectronicsusa.com/
Thanks for that - it really does help.
--
duncank
Duncan You don't need to claim to be an expert but you sure know a
heck of a lot more than many of us! I started with Dreamweaver about a
year ago and never dreamed I would need to learn so much! It's not
something I fear learning it's just so much to learn. Man if I knew
there would be Dreamweaver while going to school many years ago I
would have spent more time paying attention. Then it was the girls,
recess and showing off. Turn 55 next month and truth is Dreamweaver is
something I want to learn as I have much need to try to sell products
and provide appealing sites. But these sites that train students are
so dam high! I have the CS5 Master Collection and seems like every
month or so everyone is coming up with better script. It is hard to
keep up! The photos on that page I had you look over are not the ones
I will be using. They are, borderless and poor. I have been so busy
trying to keep up my Heating and Cooling business I haven't had much
time to concentrate. I do Thank You for your advice and once I get a
little time to focus on these pages I will work on using your advice.
Stick around because there are a lot of us paying attention to you. I
really don't see anyone go out of their way to at least try to help
someone the way you do! Again Thank You, Jetasia
Duncan Kennedy
2010-07-23 16:01:10 UTC
Post by Jetasia
Duncan You don't need to claim to be an expert but you sure know a
heck of a lot more than many of us! I started with Dreamweaver about a
year ago and never dreamed I would need to learn so much! It's not
something I fear learning it's just so much to learn. Man if I knew
there would be Dreamweaver while going to school many years ago I
would have spent more time paying attention. Then it was the girls,
recess and showing off. Turn 55 next month and truth is Dreamweaver is
something I want to learn as I have much need to try to sell products
and provide appealing sites.
You still have plenty of time to learn (OK I know about business
tpressures - I was 57 when I started my web business. Now, 15 years
later, I remember somethi gs and forget others.
Post by Jetasia
Thank You for your advice and once I get aittle time to focus on these
pages I will work on using your advice.
Have a look at your navigation section too - you have full URLs (you
don't need the full one for your own site) but Dreamweaver has also
added its usual "<a: > "#" </a>" which refers the visitor back to the
page it is on - you can happily delete them as they are doing nothing
useful now.
Post by Jetasia
Stick around because there are a lot of us paying attention to you. I
really don't see anyone go out of their way to at least try to help
someone the way you do!
There are others around here still who are much better at some things
and do help. I learned a great deal from others - and my wall has a
curious pitted decoration from banging of head before I did the sensible
thing and asked.
Post by Jetasia
Again Thank You,
You're welcome - will keep my eyes open.
duncank
MD34
2010-07-16 23:23:29 UTC
Post by April May
[...]
Sounds like a firewall block
Dunno bout macs but I assume you have the either as part of the OS (ala Windows
Firewall) or an external program. Software updates that happen almost daily in
some AV programs.

If you have an AV or firewall, shut it down and try to connect