CS4 Library Font Rendering
unknown
2010-12-01 19:21:33 UTC
I'm working underMac OS 10.6.5 with CS4 Dreamweaver 10.0.0.4117.

I have a Library Asset k2kNavMenu.lbl used in 11 separate html pages.
It originally used the CSS default font set and all was fine. I have
since reset the font set to Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif and saved the
lbl file with updates to all the pages on which the asset is used. For
each of the 11 pages the fonts render correctly whether in Live View,
Preview in Safari or Preview in Firefox. Upon upload to the remote
server and then viewing the site remotely using either Safari of
Firefox, 4 of the 11 pages render with the old font set while the other
7 render correctly. If I do an FTP fetch of the misbehaving files and
then open them locally they render correctly.

I have tried removing the asset from the offending pages and then
re-inserting it with no difference in behaviour.

Any suggestions as to how to correct this would be most appreciated.
Duncan Kennedy
2010-12-01 21:52:13 UTC
Post by unknown
[...]
I'm on the same hardware / software as you but haven't had this problem
so can't be of direct help. But I have had problems with one client who
kept claiming that nothing had changed - until I told him how to refresh
the page in the browser - he was getting the old one in the cache. I've
since had this happen to me too. Any chance this is the problem?

It sounds like you're using embedded styles rather than an external
Style Sheet?

Another thought - at one time some ISPs / hosts used a sort of cache
server where they held recently used files - yiu needed to hit either
control (command) + refresh or Alt + Refresh - or both together to
update the pages, depending on the browser - or wait for the next round
of updaters on the host server. No idea if this is still done

Another desparate thought - are you updating the right pages - could
there be dupicates somewhere that are not being updated but are being
used for web updates? (OK I see you have fetched the on line pages so
this is very unlikely - sounds more like a cache issue.)

I'm really looking for unlikely solutions and you've probablyb tried
them all. With luck somebody with experience of ghe problem will be
along in a little while - or try the Adobe web forums.

If you care to offer a URL I'm happy to have a look to see what I see.
duncank
unknown
2010-12-02 14:58:57 UTC
Compare

http://www.stjacobslions.org/YOUTHDANCE/k2knews.html which renders the
Menu Bar Fonts as desired with

http://www.stjacobslions.org/YOUTHDANCE/k2klocation.html which does not.
Duncan Kennedy
2010-12-02 18:55:18 UTC
Post by unknown
Compare
http://www.stjacobslions.org/YOUTHDANCE/k2knews.html which renders the
Menu Bar Fonts as desired with
http://www.stjacobslions.org/YOUTHDANCE/k2klocation.html which does not.
I can see what you mean - there is a clear difference here too.

I had a look at the source code - it is complicated as the styles are
embedded - I have to admit I like to use external styles sheets so that
I only have to upload one file and change just one file but that doesn't
help you.

Are the files in he Spry Assets folder updated - particularly the .css
one? Dreamweaver would normally ask if you wanted to save changes to
that.

There are differences in the code relating to the navigation bar between
the two files. In desparation you might want to try a cut and paste
job on the section on one of the bad files.

I think I would check the .css file first - that would account for it
working on your compouter, where the file is up to date - and not on the
web, where it wasn't - but it doesn't solve whay one works and the other
doesn't on line.

Look at

SpryAssets/SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css

In fact try to download the one on line - to a special directory or with
a different name so it won't over-write the one on your computer - and
compare the two.

Or simply upload the one on your computer that you know for sure works.

I'm not having a lot of luck her but I like puzzles.
duncank
unknown
2010-12-02 21:15:11 UTC
Duncan

You pointed me in the right direction!

I uploaded all of the Spry Assets from my local computer to the remote
directory and all is well.

In hind sight I understand what happened. I had taken to Putting my
changed html files rather than using the syncronize function. This
meant that I was not taking into account changes introduced to the Spry
Assets when editing locally. Thus everything worked locally but the
updated Spry Asets were not being put to the remote server.

Thanks so much for your taking the time on this one!
Duncan Kennedy
2010-12-03 11:29:23 UTC
Post by unknown
Duncan
You pointed me in the right direction!
I uploaded all of the Spry Assets from my local computer to the remote
directory and all is well.
In hind sight I understand what happened. I had taken to Putting my
changed html files rather than using the syncronize function.
I have to admirt I have never used the Synchronize function - always a
separate FTP application - WSFTP Pro for years but the free Filezilla on
Macs now. But that is habit and can result in exactly what you
experienced until the light dawns!
Post by unknown
Thanks so much for your taking the time on this one!
You're very welcome - glad it worked.
--
duncank