Spry menu problems
Christina
2009-12-07 06:25:24 UTC

I'm recently designed my friend's website - since I'm still in the
process of learning - came across some process regarding my coding,
especially when it comes to the Spry menu - when opening the site in
Internet Explorer the text doesn't come up or only as error messages.
Also, the copy of the pages is really faded when opening in Explorer.

Any suggestions??

Thank you!
Duncan Kennedy
2009-12-07 10:00:53 UTC
In message
Post by Christina
Hi,
I'm recently designed my friend's website - since I'm still in the
process of learning - came across some process regarding my coding,
especially when it comes to the Spry menu - when opening the site in
Internet Explorer the text doesn't come up or only as error messages.
Also, the copy of the pages is really faded when opening in Explorer.
I suppose the first thing to say is have you got anything on line you
could give us a URL for so we could have a look?

Some versions of IE have a habit, every time they see JavaScript
(including the Spry stuff) of asking if you intend to show ActiveX
(which it isn't) and then showing errors. I guess the option may have
been turned off in the Tools menu. But that doesn't account for only
the text being a problem

What font did you use? If not one of the more common selection like
Arial or Times Roman have a go with one of these selections from
Dreamweaver list.

Also which version of IE? Earlier versions can be a bit funny but I
have IE6 working with Spry OK.

Not sure what is happening with a faded look - that sounds very strange.

Finally, there are very few of us left here since Adobe abandoned the
newsnet groups pack in April - the "Adobe Experts" who used to live here
are now in the web forums via the Adobe website.

A sample of a page with the problems on line would definitely be a good
starter for those who may be able to give you a clue.
--
Duncan K
Downtown Dalgety Bay
Christina
2009-12-08 11:15:29 UTC
Post by Duncan Kennedy
In message
Post by Christina
[...]
Hi Duncan,

thanks for your quick reply. The link is www.twistedrootyoga.com -
meant to include that in my mail yesterday :)

The font might be a good clue - will try that.

Thanks again for trying to help me figure this out! Christina
Duncan Kennedy
2009-12-08 13:20:35 UTC
In message
Post by Christina
Post by Duncan Kennedy
In message
Post by Christina
[...]
Don't think you have a font problem - had a look at the URL in all the
browsers I can lay my hands on at the moment - IE7 and 6 (Vista and XP),
Opera (XP) and Firefox (both) along with Mac Firefox, Opera and Safari.
The only ones causing a problem are IE 7 and 6. They drop down on a
white background with the word "False" appearing until the Hover, when
they become OK.

My money is on something wrong with the background appearing as white
instead of transparent in the first drop down until the mouse hovers.
(i.e. a difference between the 2 relevant styles in the .css) -I've had
problems with background images and colours in IE stylesheets before
and found the waving of burning chicken bones beneficial - which shows
my level of knowledge of these things - but I would suggest making a
copy of your code to play with and then checking the
SpryAssets/SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css. Your css is well commented so
perhaps you (or somebody else left in this group) will find a clue
there.

For a trial you might try changing the background colour assigned to the
main hover - about 12 items down on my list of CSS in Dreamweaver. -
Might give you a clue. It does look like your drop text is actually
there but white on white until the hover appears. (Or change the text
colour temporarily to other than white just to check).

At the same time you will have noticed that there is also a problem with
positioning going wrong in bot versions of IE, which push the "drop" up
to the top of the screen. Again something in the CSS.

Or, as I did, start again with a plain page and spry menu and change
things bit by bit, testing in IE as you go. But that is the chicken
bones bit!

I'm fairly sure there are others still around this group with a better
knowledge of these things than I have - or you could try the Dreamweaver
Forum on Adobe website. (There is also a more general Adobe Spry forum
- where there are a number of IE problems.)

I would love to know the real answer as I have working drop Spry Menus
on some of my sites and they are not that different from yours. (I used
DW3 and 4) Keep fighting!
--
Duncan K
Downtown Dalgety Bay