Creating multiple hyperlinks in Dreamweaver 2004 ?
John Fitzsimons
2010-11-28 02:25:16 UTC

Suppose I start a web page with a list like...

http://free.avg.com/au-en/homepage
http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus
http://www.clamwin.com

as TEXT. Not as hyperlinks.

Is there any way to make them all hyperlinks in one go ?

Selecting the address, and then Insert - Hyperlink, etc. one by one
soon gets very tedious if the list has hundreds of address'.

Can anyone here help with this query please ?

Regards, John.
Duncan Kennedy
2010-11-29 11:12:33 UTC
Post by John Fitzsimons
Hi,
Suppose I start a web page with a list like...
http://free.avg.com/au-en/homepage
http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus
http://www.clamwin.com
as TEXT. Not as hyperlinks.
Is there any way to make them all hyperlinks in one go ?
I fear you may have a problem but perhaps somebody with a good
knowledge of scripting for the OS you're using could help.

You could also try the official Adobe Dreamweaver forum on their web
site if nobody has the answer here.
duncank
John Fitzsimons
2010-12-03 04:11:26 UTC
Post by Duncan Kennedy
Post by John Fitzsimons
Hi,
Suppose I start a web page with a list like...
http://free.avg.com/au-en/homepage
http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus
http://www.clamwin.com
as TEXT. Not as hyperlinks.
Is there any way to make them all hyperlinks in one go ?
I fear you may have a problem but perhaps somebody with a good
knowledge of scripting for the OS you're using could help.
System is XP Pro.
Post by Duncan Kennedy
You could also try the official Adobe Dreamweaver forum on their web
site if nobody has the answer here.
Thank you. Does anyone here know of a freeware program and/or utility
that will do this task ? For example, IF another html program could
create multiple hyperlinks from a text list, in one step, then perhaps
I could open the result in Dreamweaver ?

Regards, John.
Your Name
2010-12-03 05:41:21 UTC
Post by John Fitzsimons
Post by Duncan Kennedy
Hi,
Post by Duncan Kennedy
You could also try the official Adobe Dreamweaver forum on their web
site if nobody has the answer here.
Thank you. Does anyone here know of a freeware program and/or utility
that will do this task ? For example, IF another html program could
create multiple hyperlinks from a text list, in one step, then perhaps
I could open the result in Dreamweaver ?
Try simply open the file into Word or Excel (or your email application or
newsreader) - it might automatically generate the links, and then you can
save the file as an HTML document to load into Dreamweaver. Word / Excel do
annoying do that when you're typing, but may not do with imported files.

Personally I'd probably create a FileMaker Pro database (or custome
applciation) to do the work.

Helpful Harry :o)
John Fitzsimons
2010-12-03 21:55:11 UTC

< snip >
Post by Your Name
Try simply open the file into Word or Excel (or your email application or
newsreader) - it might automatically generate the links, and then you can
save the file as an HTML document to load into Dreamweaver.
< snip >

Thank you. I now can create a list of hyperlinked items in a HTML
file. The problem I now have is that I want to import those links into
a Dreamweaver table. When I do that they do NOT import the way
I want them to. Namely one link per row of the table. It makes no
difference whether I am doing a cut and paste or an import.

Does anyone here know how I can insert individual hyperlinked
address' into a table, on a row by row bases please ?

I know I can do this one link at a time, but I want to do a list of
eg. 40 items, in one go.

Regards, John.
Your Name
2010-12-04 05:24:40 UTC
Post by John Fitzsimons
Post by Your Name
Try simply open the file into Word or Excel (or your email application or
newsreader) - it might automatically generate the links, and then you can
save the file as an HTML document to load into Dreamweaver.
< snip >
Thank you. I now can create a list of hyperlinked items in a HTML
file. The problem I now have is that I want to import those links into
a Dreamweaver table. When I do that they do NOT import the way
I want them to. Namely one link per row of the table. It makes no
difference whether I am doing a cut and paste or an import.
Does anyone here know how I can insert individual hyperlinked
address' into a table, on a row by row bases please ?
I know I can do this one link at a time, but I want to do a list of
eg. 40 items, in one go.
In Word there's an option to convert text to a table (paragraphs to rows)
which should do what you want, then when the file is saved as HTML it should
retain that table to Dreamweaver. (There may even be a similar feature in
newer versions of Dreamweaver than my ancient one.)

It should be noted that Word, being a word processor, can create some
abysmal HTML code (although your document should be a simple one anyway). If
you're copy-pasting the table to another Dreamweaver document, you might be
better to use Code View mode to see what, if any, unnecessary garbage is
also being copied across.

Helpful Harry :o)