Can't insert a table
r***@optonline.net
2011-01-24 17:52:09 UTC
I'm using Dreamweaver MX. I'm trying to re-write a website for my Son. The old
one uses frames. I'm tring to get away from them for this particular site. So I
have a simple one page design, with text, and a large picture in th emiddle of
the page. Between the page name at the top and the picture, I'm trying to put in
a table, but nothing is happening. The first time I tried it a few nights ago,
the box opened that let me set the dimensions, but then I got an error box which
I didn't understand, something about a conflict, and the older page opened up,
which has a table. Can the fact that an existing page has a table somehow
prevent me from inserting one in a new page? I don't see why it would. Thanks.
Duncan Kennedy
2011-01-24 18:50:22 UTC
Post by r***@optonline.net
I'm using Dreamweaver MX. I'm trying to re-write a website for my Son. The
old one uses frames. I'm tring to get away from them for this particular
site. So I have a simple one page design, with text, and a large picture
in th emiddle of the page. Between the page name at the top and the
picture, I'm trying to put in a table, but nothing is happening. The first
time I tried it a few nights ago, the box opened that let me set the
dimensions, but then I got an error box which I didn't understand,
something about a conflict, and the older page opened up, which has a
table. Can the fact that an existing page has a table somehow prevent me
from inserting one in a new page? I don't see why it would. Thanks.
I'm not sure what's happening here - perhaps somebody else will - but a
couple of questions.

I take it you are working with Dreamweaver off line on new page -
called something - index.htm?.

Have you made a new folder too? if not make a new folder on your hard
drive and save your new index.htm (Clean, no frames, blank but for the
basic headers DW puts in) there. Then your new page certainly shouldn't
interfere with the old one, just as a start to diagnosis.

You say you are trying to insert your table between the Page name and
the photo. Remember that anything of content that you are going to see
in a browser must be below the <body> tag which, in turn, is below the
closing </head> tag. If you have both code and Design open you can see
this clearly. I may have misunderstood what you are trying to do but it
might be that you are somehow accidentally trying to insert you table in
a non-viewing part of the file - that is, if you are looking at the
"page name" between the <title> </title>tags you are above the head and
body tags.

Come back and let us know how it goes.
duncank
Hans-G.
2011-02-09 11:29:02 UTC
... and send us a link to your website, no matter how it looks like ;-)))
--
Ciao, servus und salue
Hans-G.