Dreamweaver MX 6.1 Relative Hypelinks
Harold A. Climer
2011-01-17 23:56:35 UTC
I have a very simple Web Page. All the files for my courses
( Mainly PDF, HTML, and Images are stored in either the main directory
or sub directories( for the different courses I teach) on my area of
the University servers.
When I have to edit my web site(index file) for a new semester or to
add a course I have not taught in a while, I use Dreamweaver 6.1 to
edit my web page. I do this on my home computer because Dreamweaver MX
will not run using Vista which I have on my computer at work.
I use the insert Hyperlink to add a new or revised document to my web
page.
However, after I have done this, I noticed the ref is for example:
"../ pdfdocument.pdf" instead of "pdfdocument.pdf"
"../ pdfdocument.pdf" does not work. I get a 404 error if I upload the
revised index file to the server and try to access the document using
the reference in the first form using my browser.
Is there a way to set Dreamweaver MX so that hyperlinks are entered as
"pdfdocument.pdf"?
Harold A, Climer
University Of Tennessee Chattanooga
Dept. Of Physics, Geology, and Astronomy
615 McCallie Ave.
Room 223 Grote Hall
Chattanooga TN 37403
423-425-4523
Harold-***@utc.edu
Duncan Kennedy
2011-01-18 18:52:59 UTC
Post by Harold A. Climer
[...]
I havrn't ued DW 6.1 for a long time but a couple of ways to consider.

1. First open the page, then make sure the Properties bar is shown at
the botton of the Window.

On the page Design view highlight the file name or whatever you want to
act as a link

In the link part of Properties , click on the folder icon and then
navigate to the file you want link to. Select , Ok / Open and that's
it.

2. If you have pages that are already trying a wrong link, either just
do the above or make sure you have both Code and Desing views open (Show
Code and Desing View prwobably for v6)

In design view highlight your link and then i the Code view it should
stand out. Deselct and placing the curson, delete the extra ../ or
whatever.

One point you migt want to do is make sure your "site" on yur hard
drive is "defined" first in Menu > Site > and either New Site or Edit
site. It is all fairly intuitive but in the second dialogue select No I
do not want to use server technology (unless you do, of course).

third dialogue: Edit local copies and select the location of your
index.htm file using the folder icon. "None" if you use a separate FTP
program like Filezillaor WSFTP Pro or any other. otherwise supplythe
info.

That should make sure anything you do on that site is properly related
to the root folder on your hard drive and the links should work.

All the above was from MX on WinXP so you may need a bit of imagination
with the wording - if it still doesn't work or you get lost come back
and `I'll find a box with 5 or 6 on it.
--
duncank