Dreamweaver 8 Won't Start!!!!
RonMA68
2005-09-26 00:32:39 UTC

DW8 is doing something odd. I installed the program yesterday (with a serial
number). It worked great yesterday and this morning. However, this afternoon I
was trying to connect to a server and it just went into a long wait of trying
to connect (this isn't unusual at all).

So it got hung and I had a "Not Responding" (using Windows XP). So I did a
Control+Alt+Delete, and did a manual program termination.

Then when I went to start DW8 again, it flashed for a split second on the
monitor, and disappeared. Hmmmm... So I completely uninstalled the program
through "add/remove programs" and I reinstalled it. Same problem returned!

Anyone having this issue? Anyone know of a way to resolve it? The rest of
the Studio is working like a champ.. it's only DW8 that will not start now.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for any insight,

Ron
Alex Mariño

Ron
RonMA68
2005-09-26 12:38:24 UTC
Alex,

Yes, I did try rebooting... duh.

Ron
zarathustra_MX
2005-09-26 06:05:31 UTC
Look on the bright side. Not starting is better than vanishing in the middle of a work session. Every cloud has a silver lining and all that...
Faffles
2005-09-26 12:42:57 UTC
My Dreamweaver 8 has also crashed, not come up, flashed the logo screen and
disappeared. Very unstable, I'm glad that I did NOT delete my MX version.
When it does work, it is also very slow. I've had sporatic probles such as:
can not save work, links not working in pages I've created....when is the first
patch!
RonMA68
2005-09-26 12:55:09 UTC
I hate to say that I'm glad that this has happened to someone else, but at least I know it's not my computer. And yes.. Thank god I still had MX 2004 installed so that I could upload my files.
Mindfieldz
2005-09-26 14:47:30 UTC
I installed the demo and worked on it for a few days. After about 5 days of
use, the program all the suddent stops working. I get the initializing screen
with "initializing files" then it crashes continuously. Rebooting didn't help.
I removed as much of DW8 as possible and reinstalled it (having bought the
license). It worked fine for a few days. Today I get back to the office (after
maybe 7 days of use) and the program has gone back to crashing at the same
loation each time.

This is wearing me out...

Am using a Mac with OS X 10.3.9.
RonMA68
2005-09-26 14:51:13 UTC
Hopefully the "Powers that Be" are reading this and will give us some feedback.

If anyone else is having this same issue, PLEASE post here to keep this thread
at the top until we have an answer!!!

Frustrated in MA,

Ron
Murray *TMM*
2005-09-26 15:14:25 UTC
The "powers that be" that have already read it are about the best you are
going to get here! 8(

Macromedia staff rarely come here to read - it's peer-to-peer mostly.
However, both Steph and I have tried to alert them to this thread....
--
Murray --- ICQ 71997575
==================
Ron
RonMA68
2005-09-26 15:33:06 UTC
You would think that after a major product release that they'd be reading!
Stephanie Sullivan
2005-09-26 14:51:44 UTC
Post by Mindfieldz
I installed the demo and worked on it for a few days. After about 5 days of
use, the program all the suddent stops working. I get the initializing screen
with "initializing files" then it crashes continuously. Rebooting didn't help.
I removed as much of DW8 as possible and reinstalled it (having bought the
license). It worked fine for a few days. Today I get back to the office (after
maybe 7 days of use) and the program has gone back to crashing at the same
loation each time.
This is wearing me out...
Am using a Mac with OS X 10.3.9.
I don't know if this will help -- but it's the only thing that I've ever had
to do to get DW (and a couple other programs that are touchy with fonts)
running again...

http://homepage.mac.com/mdouma46/fontfinagler/
Download and install the trial of Font Finagler...
Run it...
Reboot and see if DW cranks up...

(I'm on 10.3.7 and I've found this little program to be very helpful)

Stephanie Sullivan
Community MX Partner :: http://www.communitymx.com/author.cfm?cid=1008
Team Macromedia for Dreamweaver :: http://tinyurl.com/6huw3
Co-Author .: "Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 Magic" :. New Riders
VioletSky Design :: http://www.violetsky.net

"A professional is someone who can do his best work when he doesn't feel
like it." -- Alistair Cooke
phil_d
2005-09-26 15:38:41 UTC
I am also suffering from this problem. Installed software twice, no change.
cvaliquet
2005-09-26 15:42:21 UTC
Hi folks,

We have not run across this issue before, so troubleshooting may take some
work. I will make sure the engineers are aware of the issue.

Try disabling the Start Page, we had some issues with this in Dreamweaver MX
2004. Follow the instructions in the following TechNote, but look for the
registry key under Dreamweaver 8 instead of MX 2004.
http://www.macromedia.com/go/14ca38fb

As a second test, try disabling your anti-virus software and then launching
Dreamweaver.

I encourage anyone who encounters this problem to open a support incident. It
will not count against any complimentary or paid support entitlement.
http://www.macromedia.com/support/email/complimentary/main.cgi

Please do reply here with the results of the above tests for the benefit of
all.

Thanks,

Chris
Richard Chappell
2005-09-30 22:43:04 UTC
I have tried both of these suggestions, unfortunately neither worked for
me. I have also tried renaming the configuration folder as per Murray's
suggestion, but still no joy. The application ran once after
installation, but it hasn't successfully launched since.

DW8 trial version, Win XP Pro SP2, Pentium 4 2.4GHZ with 1024MB RAM.

Richard.
Chris
RonMA68
2005-09-26 15:45:22 UTC
Thank you Chris. I will try your ideas and report back later tonight.

Ron
Mindfieldz
2005-09-26 15:56:00 UTC
Alright. I tried font finagler but it didn't help. Nifty little tool as an
aside, though.

I went ahead and cleared out DW8 and reinstalled it fresh again (making sure
my reg. file was still in place). it now works again. Will post again if it
fails after a few days.

As a note for those doing the reinstall, it helps to have another partition to
copy your current files to in case something goes awry.
Stephanie Sullivan
2005-09-26 18:08:40 UTC
Post by Mindfieldz
I went ahead and cleared out DW8 and reinstalled it fresh again (making sure
my reg. file was still in place). it now works again. Will post again if it
fails after a few days.
Are you going to try turning off the start page? That would be good to
know...

Stephanie Sullivan
Community MX Partner :: http://www.communitymx.com/author.cfm?cid=1008
Team Macromedia for Dreamweaver :: http://tinyurl.com/6huw3
Co-Author .: "Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 Magic" :. New Riders
VioletSky Design :: http://www.violetsky.net

"A mind once stretched by new thoughts can never regain its original shape."
--Albert Einstein
Stephanie Sullivan
2005-09-26 22:48:12 UTC
nothing works.. problem still exits.
From the number of posts, this seems without a doubt, a Macromedia problem
that needs immediate attention.
Any one with input to Macromedia, please ask if they are aware.....
Have you started a support ticket with Macromedia? They'd like to track and
trouble shoot as many of these issues as possible...

Stephanie Sullivan
Community MX Partner :: http://www.communitymx.com/author.cfm?cid=1008
Team Macromedia for Dreamweaver :: http://tinyurl.com/6huw3
Co-Author .: "Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 Magic" :. New Riders
VioletSky Design :: http://www.violetsky.net

He that wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our
antagonist is our helper. -- Edmund Burke
fwann
2005-09-26 22:42:34 UTC
I have tried:

delete configuration folder
rename configuration folder
turn off start page

nothing works.. problem still exits.

From the number of posts, this seems without a doubt, a Macromedia problem

Dick_Kirkland
2005-09-28 12:14:41 UTC
Hey all,

Don't know if this has anything to do with the issue, but for the first time
after a few days of having Studio 8 installed, I experienced a little lag time
when trying to open Dreamweaver. After getting past the initializing screens,
I got a message which disabled the start up menu/screen. It said that my
browsers couldn't be detected for the "preview in browser" function and that I
would have to remove them from the "preview in browser" list and add them
again. I did this and the program continues to work fine on my Mac running
10.4.2 or .1 I can't remember. I'm using the suite at work as well and have
had no problems while working on a PC with XP SP2. By the looks of this thread
it doesn't seem to be a platform specific problem.

Just wondering if what I experienced may be actually going on behind the
scenes for those who are having the starup problem.

Hope this helps, a little bit anyway.

Have a good one.
Dick
sselden

I think this is a separate problem.
media2nd
2005-10-03 17:19:53 UTC
I encountered the same error and I uninstalled a Macromedia Extensio
(Paypal) wich I installed a day before. Now it works

--
media2n
media2nd's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/m89
View this thread: http://www.highdots.com/forums/t297406
nexus
2005-10-03 20:40:27 UTC
I posted to in another thread here last week. Mac OS X. Renaming confi
folder as suggested by Macromedia support website didn't help. Als
deleted prefs to no avail.

I reported the problem to Macromedia (as requested on their website)
and I received an email with a link to a patch, along with some othe
suggestions. The patch did the trick and it's up and running

--
nexu
nexus's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/m86
View this thread: http://www.highdots.com/forums/t297406
RonMA68
2005-10-04 13:33:44 UTC
I have to go in every couple of days and delete my .dws files.

ROYAL PAIN MACROMEDIA!!!! I love the software when it works though!!
DW-user
2005-10-04 15:28:29 UTC
At least deleting the dws files works for you. I've tried every metho
listed on this board and nothing has worked for me yet. I had t
install it on my laptop just to stay productive. I am holding m
breath that the laptop install doesnt fail as well

--
DW-use
DW-user's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/m92
View this thread: http://www.highdots.com/forums/t297406
sselden
2005-10-04 16:15:03 UTC
We are working on a workaround for this problem.

When one is found it will be posted on this site:
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=a3f38dcf
as a tech note.
cvaliquet
2005-09-26 16:01:14 UTC
Another note applying to installation - Make sure to turn off your anti-virus
program (and anything else you can) before installing.

Not sure what files Mindfieldz is referring to, but uninstall/install will
never touch your site files.

-Chris
fwann
2005-09-26 17:01:11 UTC
I had the same problem and was advised to try the following:

"Find this folder -

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver
8\Configuration\<sitename>.dws

and delete it.

Restart DW. Works better?"

I could not see the Application Data folder on my PC. I tried to create a new
folder with same name and system reported that subject folder existed. Don't
know why the folder is not visible.
Murray *TMM*
2005-09-26 17:15:34 UTC
None of them are visible by default. You need to use Explorer's TOOLS |
Folder Options settings to make them visible.
--
Murray --- ICQ 71997575
==================
sghuntley
2005-09-27 03:31:39 UTC
PowerMac G5 OSX 10.4.2.... oh Yeah and Powerbook 10.4.2

OK now I have had it. So this same thing happened to me...! Everything was
working fine.. then out of the blue it won't start up.. re-install.. tried
everything in this thread and nothing... but hey... I have a lap top too... so
I just loaded the program up on it and have been working there foir 2 days...
hey guess what... It just stopped working. Guess it's back to MX.

Is there someone out there from Macromedia Listening? Sure would be nice to
hear that someone is working on this! I guess the only way to find out is to
spend money to get a support incident and be told they have no idea what is
happening!
Murray *TMM*

happening!
MeanoIano
2005-09-27 11:43:44 UTC
Ok, i was having the very same problem, but i sorted it out....heres how...

Search :
C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8

For:
*.dws

This will list the sites that are defined in DW.

I deleted these files, and the problem went away.
I would suggest that you move them rather than delete them, so you can undo
your change,
...but i didnt, am im still here....

Meano Iano
:beer;
Murray *TMM*
2005-09-27 12:04:06 UTC
Post by MeanoIano
I would suggest that you move them rather than delete them, so you can undo
your change,
Try just renaming the Configuration folder in which those files are found.
When DW restarts it will create a new one.
--
Murray --- ICQ 71997575
==================
:beer;
sghuntley
2005-09-27 13:05:46 UTC
Removing the .DWS worked. Thanks so much for the assistance. It's nice to
wake up at 6 in the morning after not sleeping all night to find a remedy to
the problem. Now, I am wondering if there is a solution to keep this from
happening again.

But for now, I am extremely happy that I am going to be abel to meet my
deadline today! Thank you all for your help.

It is greatly appreciated!

Steve Huntley
Mindfieldz
2005-09-27 19:59:06 UTC
Just a follow up. I did try turning off the start page. Always a standard for
new programs and me. No help in doing so. I *did* start a tech incident ticket
thingy so that's on record. Still not having issues after I reinstalled, but
will keep the appropriate parties updated if things go awry.
sselden
2005-09-27 20:37:18 UTC
Did everyone who was having problems with this issue get it resolved by the
troubleshooting steps? I note that some folks report they were able to get it
working.

If you did not get it resolved, please reply and list the steps you did. This
way I can enter a issue report and/or locate a workaround.

thanks.
sselden
2005-09-27 20:39:02 UTC
PS: also please specify if you are on mac or windows.
blue ridge belle
2005-09-27 23:29:29 UTC
I am working on Mac 10.4.2 and just like with everyone else, it worked for a couple of days working, it stopped working, I just get a spinning ball.
sghuntley
2005-09-28 00:39:15 UTC
I have removed the DWS files on 2 of my 3 machines that stopped working and
have been on them all day with no problems. Shut down DW8 go to
/Users/YourName/Library/Aplications Support/Dreamweaver
8/Configuration/SiteCache and move all those DWS files out of there. Then
Start DW8

This fixed both of my machines!

Hope it helps

Steve
RonMA68
2005-09-28 13:57:00 UTC
I'm on Windows XP and I have DW8 on 2 machines. When I originally reported this
problem it was for my home machine.

This morning I'm at the office and someone came in for some training. I went
to start DW8, same thing happened. Fortunately, I had a copy of DW MX 2004 on
my laptop and was able to help my client.

Then I did this on my office machine:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver
8\Configuration\<sitename>.dws

and delete the .dws files. I had to do a reboot and now DW8 is working.
However, when I went into a couple of my sites I got a warning flag about a
synchronization error that might cause problems later on. GREAT!!!!!

Sort of happy again,
Ron
Mindfieldz
2005-09-28 16:10:35 UTC
Alright. Ran into this issue for the third time this morning. I tried removing
my .dws files and even rebooted. That didn't help. So, being the impatient
daredevil I am, I moved my site prefs file Users/myname/library/application
support/macromedia/common/8/sites/site prefs to a new location. Dreamweaver 8
started again.

This solution worked for me without much trouble because I don't define all
the sites I develop. I use the site manager primarily to RDS onto our servers
and work on live content. This solution may not be advisable for those who
define many sites.

I, too, am frustrated with the many issues this version seems to have. But
solely working with DW and Coldfusion servers, I have to have faith that
bringing up these issues will help in making updates to fix these issues.

Shawn
Just barely winging it
Dick_Kirkland
2005-09-28 16:21:54 UTC
I wonder if deleting those prefs would do the same thing. I don't know if
they're generated again on start up / activity though. I only say this because
if they're corrupt, it would be a shame to keep using them.

Was this after you reinstalled it for the second time?

What's RDS? Fill me in if you don't mind.

See ya,
Dick
Bob
2005-09-28 20:41:53 UTC
I'm running XP SP2 and have experienced all the same issues and tried
all the fixes above... I've uninstalled/reinstalled 3-4 times with no
luck.

I went a step further and renamed my entire "macromedia" folder inside
my Documents and Settings userid folder - with the same result:

When I launch Dreamweaver 8, I see the startup logo, and a quick
"flash" of the application, then nothing... Very frustrating!
t***@gmail.com
2005-09-29 12:44:24 UTC
Post by Bob
I'm running XP SP2 and have experienced all the same issues and tried
all the fixes above... I've uninstalled/reinstalled 3-4 times with no
luck.
I went a step further and renamed my entire "macromedia" folder inside
When I launch Dreamweaver 8, I see the startup logo, and a quick
"flash" of the application, then nothing... Very frustrating!
i get this exact problem also. i've tried everything listed in this
thread, finally coming to the point of deleting the Dreamweaver 8
folder from Application Data, uninstalling DW8, and deleting the
Dreamweaver8 registry branch under HKCU\Software\Macromedia. In essence
trying to tell my computer that DW8 was never there. Then disabled my
Antivirus (a step i STILL don't comprehend that software makers
actually recommend considering the times we live in). Attempted a brand
new installation. This time it did manage to ask me if i wanted
Designer or Coder workspace before crapping out. But that's as far as
it ever got.

i'll have this thread bookmarked, and will keep watching MM for patch
releases, but i'm back to MX, hoping that it still works upon reinstall.
sselden
2005-09-29 21:25:36 UTC
Thank you for the added information.

We have logged an issue report and are investigating it.

In summary this problem is (please correct me if I'm wrong):
After a few days Dreamweaver stops launching.

Platforms affected:
mac and windows

Workaround:
1. go to:
-- win -- C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application
Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8\Configuration\SiteCache
-- mac -- HD:Users:<username>:Library:ApplicationSupport:Macromedia:
Dreamweaver 8:Configuration:SiteCache
2. delete dws files
t***@gmail.com
2005-09-29 23:05:26 UTC
Please note: Workaround only seems effective sporadically. Didn't work
for me, nor for some others who have posted their efforts. i still have
DW8 installed after complete reinstallation, and there are no DWS files
to speak of, yet DW won't launch. In fact, after asking me if i wanted
Coder or Design mode, DW crashed and the only folder in my AppData
related to DW8 is the Configuration\Menus folder.

If you can recommend a procedure for complete removal of the
application (which it would seem the Uninstall process should take care
of but doesn't), including file locations and registry entries not
removed by Uninstall, maybe starting completely from Zero with it would
help?
t***@gmail.com
2005-09-29 23:43:22 UTC
Ok, i got it running again. It turns out my "clean" install wasn't.
There's also a Macromedia registry branch under HKCU\Software.

i found: HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Common\8\Sites after uninstalling
DW8.

i deleted the Common branch as well as the
HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Dreamweaver branch and all related files
aforementioned in Application Data\Macromedia.

Then performed installation. Application runs. Now, should i hesitate
to re-define my sites? i really don't want to leave my sites
disorganized, especially because the FTP function is really helpful. i
guess all i can do is try, and fix it if it breaks.
s***@cahaltech.com
2005-10-02 04:28:12 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Ok, i got it running again. It turns out my "clean" install wasn't.
There's also a Macromedia registry branch under HKCU\Software.
i found: HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Common\8\Sites after uninstalling
DW8.
i deleted the Common branch as well as the
HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Dreamweaver branch and all related files
aforementioned in Application Data\Macromedia.
Then performed installation. Application runs. Now, should i hesitate
to re-define my sites? i really don't want to leave my sites
disorganized, especially because the FTP function is really helpful. i
guess all i can do is try, and fix it if it breaks.
Thank you! I encountered the same error and this is what I did to get
it to work --

1. Delete the Dreamweaver 8 directory from "C:\Documents and
Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\Macromedia".

2. Delete registry entries from
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\Common" and
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\Dreamweaver8" branch. In fact, I
deleted the folders as well.

Resetted my settings but oh well, at least it works. There needs to be
a permanent workaround for this because it took a lot of time to figure
out how to solve this issue which meant loss productivity for myself
and others.
Pagefusion
2005-10-04 16:02:18 UTC
Post by s***@cahaltech.com
Thank you! I encountered the same error and this is what I did to get
it to work --
1. Delete the Dreamweaver 8 directory from "C:\Documents and
Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\Macromedia".
2. Delete registry entries from
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\Common" and
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\Dreamweaver8" branch. In fact
deleted the folders as well.
Resetted my settings but oh well, at least it works. There needs to be
a permanent workaround for this because it took a lot of time t
figure
out how to solve this issue which meant loss productivity for myself
and others.
Phew... using these same instructions, I too had to edit the registr
as explained in the above post to get Dreamweaver 8 to load properl
again. :)

After having this same problem on at least 2 different XP workstation
and 1 XP laptop, it seems like that problem occurs when Dreamweaver ha
to shut down unexpectedly. This can occur if you have a backgroun
process (like Windows Update, an install process, etc.) intentionall
restart your computer while dreamweaver.exe is running.

For some odd reason, Dreamweaver can't exit cleanly when its process i
killed upon restart or shutdown. A definate problem for Macromedia t
look into.

However, if I am correct, then one thing we should all do (to keep thi
lame error from happening in the future) is to exit Dreamweaver usin
File> Exit from the command menu.

Argh! Lame, lame, lame.

- Chri

--
Pagefusio
Pagefusion's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/m92
View this thread: http://www.highdots.com/forums/t297406
blue ridge belle
2005-10-02 20:01:35 UTC
I finally have mine working correctly, I removed the preferences & the
Application support, then removed the program and reinstalled in safe boot and
now have no problems to date and it has been about 8 days now.
Mindfieldz
2005-10-04 13:28:13 UTC
Just so noone starts thinking this has been fixed:

I am running into this issue every day now. I rename my config folder and
Dreamweaver 8 finally starts booting up. Of course i have to set all my RDS
configs to work on our servers. The program works for the rest of the day. The
very next morning, I have to do the whole cycle again. Please tell me this
pinpoints the issue....
waipahu
2005-10-04 21:09:48 UTC
I had the exact same problem. I called Macromedia support, and both people I
spoke to were pretty incompetent.

How I fixed the problem:

I followed some of your advice and made changes to the Configuration folder,
Re-installing, etc, but none of it worked.
I use windows xp pro sp2, and I tried opening DW8 with another user account,
and it worked! So I deduced that the problem was with my particular user
account for some damn reason.

So basically, from another Administrator account, I deleted my account's
folders, and logged in again as myself. Now, DW8 works, this was just earlier
today so hopefully nothing bad happens, but it has worked so far.

Hopefully this helps some of you. I hoped that Macromedia Support had some
other solution for other than recreating a user account, but that's all they
had for me, a solution that I was thinking about doing anyway.

Where's the bug fix Macromedia?

Aloha
Gabo
2005-10-05 03:47:00 UTC
Bloody Macromedia!

Deadline tomorrow and encounter that ^%#$@# problem!

Did this and I was able to run it again.

Quote:
Thank you! I encountered the same error and this is what I did to get
it to work --

1. Delete the Dreamweaver 8 directory from "C:\Documents and
Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\Macromedia".

2. Delete registry entries from
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\Common" and
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\Dreamweaver8 " branch. In fact
deleted the folders as well.

Resetted my settings but oh well, at least it works. There needs to be
a permanent workaround for this because it took a lot of time t
figure
out how to solve this issue which meant loss productivity for myself
and others.

Glad I am not alone in this one.

Where is the $#@$!@% patch

--
Gab
Gabo's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/m93
View this thread: http://www.highdots.com/forums/t297406
mrback
2005-10-05 09:07:11 UTC
Tried to uninstall and reinstall but same thing happend.
I did try the one with deleting the Configuration in user folders that i red
in the sugestions but that did not work.
So i went to the regestry and made a backup of:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\Common\8\Sites
Then i deleted the tree Sites and run the program.
It started. So I closed it again and re-added the sites information to the
regestry from the backup.
Launched the program. I started and the site information was back again.
Have been able to run it multiple times after that.

I have sent this information to MM.
Hope they can locate the source of this problem.
waipahu
2005-10-05 22:17:37 UTC
Has anyone experienced if you log into the computer on a different user account, then the one having the problem, that if Dreamweaver8.0 works?
temporalartistry
2005-10-06 21:08:49 UTC
This problem is still not fixed for me.

I have done the following:
installed DW 8 and it worked for about a week
uninstalled DW MX (not 2004)
that is when DW 8 started giving the splash and no response after that.

I tried:
uninstalling/reinstalling DW 8
rebooting
renaming the configuration folder
deleting the configuration folder
changing the start page registry key to FALSE

and I still have nothing.

Please Macromedia... I have work that needs to be done!! :brokenheart;
temporalartistry
2005-10-06 21:46:44 UTC
WOW!

Kudos to Donald for replying to my bug report within about 30 mins!

He suggested I delete two more registry keys. That worked!

Prior to his email, I had deleted
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8

But that didn't seem to help.

Just now, I deleted all three registry entries, so either
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macromedia\Dreamweaver\8
or
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\Common\8\

must have been the problem.
sselden
2005-10-06 21:56:01 UTC
Here is a summary of the steps for Windows:
1) Uninstall DW through Add/Remove Programs.
2) Manually delete any remaining folders/files, such as:

- "Dreamweaver 8" under Program Files
- Licensing files. Delete the "Licensing" folder under:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Macromedia\Licensing\

3) Delete the User Configuration folder. Back this up first if there are any
customized settings you want to keep:
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8

4) Delete any Registry keys for DW8. Check under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macromedia\Dreamweaver\8
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\Common\8 **

** This will DELETE the site files, you should back this up first if they have
any site files.

5) Restart the machine.
6) Reinstall DW8. Disable any anti-virus or security software before
installing.
sselden
2005-10-06 21:56:22 UTC
Here they are for mac:
1) Uninstall Dreamweaver 8 by manually deleting the following folders and
files. Back up the Preferences file and the Configuration folder if there are
any customized settings you want to keep:

- Applications > Macromedia Dreamweaver 8
- HD > Library > Application Support > Macromedia > Licensing
- Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > Macromedia >
Dreamweaver 8
- Users > [username] > Library > Preferences > Dreamweaver 8 Prefs
- Users > [username] > Library > Preferences > com.macromedia.Dreamweaver.plist

2) Reboot the machine.
3) Reinstall Dreamweaver 8 (disable any anti-virus or security software before
installing).
highdots
2005-10-07 14:48:48 UTC
I've been having the same problems. The problem does start whe
Dreamweaver 8 shuts down unexpectedly. I tried all the steps posted i
the this forum with no success until I tried deleting th
HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Common\8\Sites key. It then started up and o
course it wiped out the sites but I had those backed up so jus
re-imported them. The sites were already there previously fro
Dreamweaver MX 2004 so maybe there is something to do with th
conversion - maybe not. It does look like Dreamweaver does not shu
down cleanly when the computer crashes and it shuts down unexpectedly

The computer crashed again today and Dreamweaver wouldn't start again
I wanted to troubleshoot the problem to break it down to the one thin
that was causing it not to start so I this time i just delete
HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Common\8\Sites\-Summary key and it started u
but the sites were not there. I re-imported them again and i
re-created the -Summary key. The next time it happens I'm going t
delete the HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Common\8\Sites\Summary\Current Sit
value to see if that fixes it since th
HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Common\8\Sites\-Summary\Number of Sites valu
being deleted would have made the sites not display even the thei
individual registry keys still existed.

highdot
highdots's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/m97
View this thread: http://www.highdots.com/forums/t297406
sselden
2005-10-13 18:42:44 UTC
We have posted a fix for this. Please refer to this tech note for instructions:
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=a3f38dcf#wont_start