ReferenceError: onOpen is not defined
Innertwine
2005-02-22 15:51:56 UTC
I've been recieving the following errors when opening / saving / closing -

While executing onLoad in _onOpen.html, the following Javascript error(s)
occured:
inFile onOpen:
ReferenceError: onOpen is not defined

While executing onLoad in _afterSave.htm, the following Javascript error(s)
occured:
in file _afterSave:
ReferenceError: afterSave is not defined

When researching Macromedia said to rename the harddisk, I did with no luck. I
hope this isn't a obvious solution that I'm missing - any help would be great!
Thanks!
elstar_computing
2005-11-08 20:01:55 UTC
I am getting similar problem in Macromedia Dreamweaver 8., which I have been
using fine for a month, just yesterday when starting dreamweaver i get
javascript errors
The following Javascript error(s) occurred:
At line 56 of file "C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver
8\Configuration\Shared\Common\Scripts\dwscriptsExtData.js": ReferenceError:
dwscripts is not defined
Click OK
Then get
While executing onlioad in _onOpen.htm, the following JavaScript error(s)
occurred:
In file "" _onOpen"":
ReferenceError: onOpen is not defined
Press OK
above message repeats
Press OK
Now try and open a site page and get
The following translators were not loaded due to errors:
ASP.htm has configuration information that is invalid.
Colfusion .htm has configuration information that is invalid.
JSP.htm has configuration information that is invalid.
XSLT.htm has configuration information that is invalid.
Press OK
Then get
While executing onlioad in _onOpen.htm, the following JavaScript error(s)
occurred:
In file "" _onOpen"":
ReferenceError: onOpen is not defined
Press OK
repeats twice
then get the Following translators not loaded problem.

Any ideas on a fix?
twocans

Any ideas on a fix?
elstar_computing
2005-11-08 21:29:06 UTC
I am pretty sure I have no extensions installed. I even have javascript
errors when I went Commands Manage Extensions I get
while executing onLoad in Manage Extensions.htm , the following Javascript
errors occurred:
in file ""Manage Extensions"":
reference error Manage Extensions is not defined

PS I have done a repair install no change
I can use Dreamweaver MX2004 with no problems
just the Dreamweaver 8 has just started having these strange Javascript errors
Murray *TMM*
2005-11-08 20:27:27 UTC
You can try this simple fix -

Quit DW.

Find this file -

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver
8\Configuration\SiteCache\<sitename>.dws

(these folders are normally hidden - you may have to use Explorer > Tools >
Folder Options to unhide them)

and delete it.

Restart DW. Works better?
--
Murray --- ICQ 71997575
==================
Any ideas on a fix?
elstar_computing
2005-11-08 21:32:26 UTC
I tried the quiick fix mentioned of deleting the sitename.dws in the cache
folder.
The system regenerated the cache for the site, but I still get Javascript
errors running dreamweaver 8
It will not even let me copy and paste text in a document without a javascript
error coming up. eg
---------------------------
Macromedia Dreamweaver
---------------------------
While executing DWShortcuts_HTMLSource_Paste command in menus.xml, the
following JavaScript error(s) occurred:

TypeError: MM.event has no properties
Murray *TMM*
2005-11-08 21:45:19 UTC
OK - let's take the next step -

You can try this simple fix -

Quit DW.

Find this folder -

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver
8\Configuration
(these folders are normally hidden - you may have to use Explorer > Tools >
Folder Options to unhide them)

and rename it (say to xConfiguration).

Restart DW. Works better?
--
Murray --- ICQ 71997575
==================
elstar_computing
2005-11-08 22:20:37 UTC
Murray
I renamed the configuration folder to configuration_bad
and when I started Dreamweaver 8
it started fine and there are no javascript errors

Thankyou seems to be fixed now.
PS I was delighted that I did not loose my site information by renaming the
folder.
Murray *TMM*
2005-11-08 23:05:02 UTC
Good enough....
--
Murray --- ICQ 71997575
==================
folder.
whenua
2006-01-17 21:10:30 UTC
I'm having identical symptoms as 'elstar_computing' was having, except I'm
using Dreamweaver MX 2004, and I'll add that even though the error message is
occuring (twice), once I 'OK' it I seem to be able to move on and use the
programme OK. Except I don't know what damage is going on sub-surface.
I've tried the remedies you suggsested to 'elstar_computing', but to no avail.
Do you have any other ideas?
Thanks.
Adobo_from_Goya
2007-06-01 02:52:10 UTC
Found this solution that worked for "onLoad in _afterSave.htm" errors in MX2004:

Delete the file "tempURL_aftersave.htm" (which is in C:\Program
Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver MX 2004\Configuration\Commands).

Then close MX2004 and restart.
loridlc
2007-05-27 17:16:50 UTC
I tried your tip, Murray -- renamed the Configuration folder xConfiguration and
restarted. Now I get a blank error dialog box when I restart DW 8.02. I click
OK in the box and it discontinues launching the program.

So I change it back to Configuration, restart and get the much more ominous
error message that Elstar_Computing was receiving.

I found the SiteCache folder, but I have 15-20 .dws files for each of my
clients' sites. Do I delete all of them?

Yipes! My business relies on Dreamweaver!
amansker
2006-03-05 16:13:29 UTC
Fixed my problem too. Thanks Murray!

FYI: I have consistently had similar problems with DW over many years and versions and computers.
taseluio
2006-03-07 00:34:30 UTC
thanks Murray I fix the problem when rename configuration folder, thanks again
South Fork
2006-03-11 00:27:21 UTC
Thanks Murray. Did the trick for me as well. Regards...
ramde
2006-07-19 22:18:45 UTC
Hi Murray,
By changing the configuration folder's name and errors are not appearing ,thanks for the solution
Murray *ACE*
2006-07-19 22:27:40 UTC
You're welcome!
--
Murray --- ICQ 71997575
Adobe Community Expert
,thanks for the solution
supermoi
2006-08-13 18:18:01 UTC
The solution posted by nicholas_v worked great for me. Thanks!
Aguia
2006-08-17 01:31:51 UTC
Ok, im still stuck, None of the above solutions have helped me much. As
far as i can se ei dont have any cache folders in the configeration
folder. :(

Re naming configeration didnt help either.
Azrael499
2006-09-22 18:53:34 UTC
I have been using Dreamweaver 8 for about 2 weeks now without any problems. I
ran a defrag on my system today and now I am receiving the ReferenceError:
dwscripts is not defined error that others seem to have experienced.

At first I tried looking for the cache file or another .dat file that I should
have been able to remove...however, I did not have any of these files. I have
tried renaming the Configuration folder and that has not worked. I have
uninstalled Dreamweaver and reinstalled but still receive the errors. I even
uninstalled my whole Studio 8 suite and reinstalled only to get the same error.

I do not have any extensions installed and this is a new computer.
Please help.
Thanks.:sad;
Murray *ACE*
2006-09-22 19:17:52 UTC
Are you sure you are looking at the right path for the *.dat file?

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver
8\Configuration\WinFileCache-*.dat
(these folders are normally hidden - you may have to use Explorer > Tools >
Folder Options to unhide them)

or on Mac -
Library/Application Support/Macromedia/Dreamweaver
8/Configuration/MacFileCache-*.dat
--
Murray --- ICQ 71997575
Adobe Community Expert
Thanks.:sad;
Rens75
2007-08-14 06:55:57 UTC
I'm getting the error on Mac OS X. Can I use the same fix? Which folder should you rename on Mac OS X?
Neumy
2007-08-20 17:06:00 UTC
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]Rens75[/b][/b][/i]
I'm getting the error on Mac OS X. Can I use the same fix? Which folder should
you rename on Mac OS X?[/q]

For Mac users, follow this path:

Macintosh HD/Users/[i]your user name goes here[/i]/Library/Application
Support/Macromedia/Dreamweaver 8/Configuration

Just rename the Configuration folder to something else, then restart DW.
Should be good to go.
Rens75
2007-08-21 07:15:37 UTC
Yep, it's working. Thanks Neumy.
methamp
2008-02-24 03:41:23 UTC
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]Neumy[/b][/b][/i]
[Q][I]Originally posted by: [B][B]Rens75[/B][/B][/I]
I'm getting the error on Mac OS X. Can I use the same fix? Which folder should
you rename on Mac OS X?[/Q]

For Mac users, follow this path:

Macintosh HD/Users/[I]your user name goes here[/I]/Library/Application
Support/Macromedia/Dreamweaver 8/Configuration

Just rename the Configuration folder to something else, then restart DW.
Should be good to go.[/q]

After being an Adobe user since 4.0 in 1997, this is the first time I've had
to Google an issue with any product from these guys but I did and I landed here
because of an "XSLT.htm: has configuration information that is invalid" error
message when I tried creating certain things like tables.

I'm a Mac user on Leopard 10.5.2 and this error started to appear after I
upgraded from 10.5.1 which I originally installed Adobe Creative Suite CS3 on.
After the upgrade I started getting this message using Dreamweaver on my Mac
Pro. For Leopard users, the paths are a little different than described in

You'll want to delete the Configuration folder found at
/Users/<your-mac-username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver
9/Configuration/. Once this is done, start Dreamweaver and wait longer than
normal while it re-creates all the files and updates your system information
which has suddenly changed for whatever reason.
pmcgarvey
2007-08-17 20:53:53 UTC
:smile; Murray, your fix is still helping people in 07. Thanks for taking the time to sort this out. Pat
Zeitgiest
2007-09-17 20:00:14 UTC
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]Newsgroup User[/b][/b][/i]
You can try this simple fix -

Quit DW.

Find this folder -

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver
8\Configuration
(these folders are normally hidden - you may have to use Explorer > Tools >
Folder Options to unhide them)

and rename it (say to xConfiguration).

Restart DW. Works better?

--
Murray --- ICQ 71997575
[/q]

thank you! that worked like a charm!! :)
Zeitgiest

:wink;
joebaileydotorg
2008-04-09 17:29:03 UTC
Murray, Thanks!

Also, for those of you using Vista, here's the path to the configuration
directory:
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Dreamweaver MX
2004\Configuration

I just closed Dreamweaver, renamed the above directory, and restarted the
message went away. It also takes dreamweaver some time to rebuild the
configuration once you restart. Only a minute or two for my site though.

http://www.joebailey.org
phulla
2006-01-24 10:21:08 UTC
I have Dreamweaver 8.0.1

At startup i get the 'dwscripts not defined' error, for which i found a
solution in google groups. One suggested deleting SiteCache folder, which i did
not have and which DW8 does not appear to create (not in \Program
Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8\Configuration). Another solutions was to create
an empty function called dwscripts() in the dwscriptsExtData.js file at line
55. I did the second and this solved the dwscript error, but i continue to get
the 'following translators were not loaded'.

Surely a serious bug in DW8
Skippy 05
2006-03-24 16:59:42 UTC
Murray,

Why does this error occur? Because I have encountered this error on several
occassions now (I think three times at last count...) I wonder if I'm doing
something to cause this error? If so, what is it? If not me then why does
this happen? I would just like to prevent it from reoccurring. Thank you.
lpBranda
2006-04-18 03:08:28 UTC
Thank you Murray *TMM* . I'v got the same problem, and it was fixed by rename the "Configuration". thank you!
Lou11909
2006-04-18 08:36:57 UTC
I got the same error this morning. I have a trial version of Dreamweaver 8.
I've tried renaming the Configuration folder but this doesn't help. Other
disscusions have suggested deleting certain files or folders, such as
Sitecache, but i don't appear to even have these to start with!
Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
jdw
2006-04-21 01:06:04 UTC
Post by Lou11909
I got the same error this morning. I have a trial version of Dreamweaver 8.
I've tried renaming the Configuration folder but this doesn't help. Other
disscusions have suggested deleting certain files or folders, such as
Sitecache, but i don't appear to even have these to start with!
Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
hi groop: My dwscripts error was fixed with adding empty function at
line 55. but still getting "translators were not loaded...asp.htm:
configuration information is invalid"
Webhelio
2006-05-04 16:23:05 UTC
Murray- renaming the folder, AND disabling the cold fusion 7 extensions worked
for me. I'm with the others, I am wondering why this happens.. but I don't
expect you to have the answers, however "Adobe" should have this fixed with a
patch immediately. I paid good money for this software.
DreamRaven
2006-05-08 11:37:23 UTC
Murray's tip worked for me as well. Thanks

I did not have any ColdFusion extensions installed. And in fact I deleted the
sitecache, carried out a repair AND then completely reinstalled the product,
before looking for this remedy, all previous tries failed. After the re-install
I have no extensions installed at all (as you would expect).

One thing I would also recommend, if you do not use the default DW menu setup
is copying the file panelset.xml from your 'bad config' folder to the new one
that is created when you restart the program. Then you will not have to go
through the hassle of rearranging your menus, and panels to how they were
before (I run a three screen setup and it is so irritating removing,
regrouping, opening, etc, etc the panels, copying the XML file solves all of
that in one hit.)

Is Adobe going to patch or fix any Macromedia products, or just combine them
with existing Adobe products? Boy, do I look forward to a DW/Go Live merge? Not
at all. Adobe's workflow is total garbage compared to Macromedia's.
Webhelio
2006-05-08 13:42:59 UTC
I agree and if they merge them what a dopey move.. I really don't even get why
Adobe would by Macromedia, why Macromedia would sell out to Adobe, bla bla
bla... They've already changed the website so that now we see the same
technology that other sites are using, at least on my browser I don't see the
old menus and the "goodies" of what MM makes being put to use... Ok back to our
original topic..

THANKS for the info on the .xml for the panel layouts, that's awesome. Are
there any other files like that for configurations and settings that would
carry over that way?
DreamRaven
2006-05-08 14:13:49 UTC
I have been using DW today off an on, as I usually do. I have had to reload the
extensions, due to my unnecessary re-install, but I have not found anything
else to be out of whack with my installation.

The sites stayed installed, so that must have been a registry setting. Other
than the panel layout, I don't think that there is anything different for me
from default, so there maybe other files to copy over, say if you have made any
edits to any of them, but not that I know of.

If I notice anything else different or files that need copying I will make
sure I add them here.
nicholas_v
2006-05-10 15:24:10 UTC
:cool;
I started Dreamweaver 8 this morning and got the following Javascript error:

The following JavaScript error(s) occurred:

At line 56 of file "D:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver
8\Configuration\Shared\Common\Scripts\dwscriptsExtData.js":
ReferenceError: dwscripts is not defined

Fortunately, the fix is easy. Exit DW, delete the WinFileCache*.dat file in
the Configuration folder, and then restart DW.
Just open C:\Documents and Settings/Userxxxxx/Application
Data/Macromedia/Dreamweaver 8/Configuration
And you will find the above mentioned file there.

Cheers
beniamin-ille
2006-12-16 08:36:00 UTC
I'm getting the bottom ERROR message when I open one file in Dreamweaver 3. I
don't have any extensions installed. When I try to fix the problem, the whole
program crashes on me. So, I can't even change the script on the page. I
tried using a different program to change, but I have Japanese in my page,
which becomes jibbrish when I re-save. What should I do? Can anyone help,
please? I tried a number of things you've suggested on this thread with no
success.
Error Message:
While executing onLoad in _onOpen.htm, a JavaScript error occurred.

Thanks....
beniamin-ille

Thanks....
Murray *ACE*
2006-12-16 12:12:23 UTC
DW3 is so antique that some of its critical behavior javascript will not
work in current browsers. I urge you to update it if you can.

I don't have DW3 installed anywhere, so I can't test for you, but please try
creating a new site definition that points into the same local root folder
and see if that corrects this problem.
--
Murray --- ICQ 71997575
Adobe Community Expert
Thanks....
Detlef
2007-01-15 11:58:34 UTC
I also get the following error message while starting DW

While executing onLoad in _onOpen.html, the following Javascript error(s)
occured:
inFile onOpen:
ReferenceError: onOpen is not defined

I also had problems DW to run correctly because cut n past also cause this
message and I could not use the insert tablle function.

After Renaming the "configuration" folder everything works well!!!

Thanks !!!
atlweb
2007-01-18 23:10:54 UTC
Hi Murray -

I have a user who is experiencing the same error in Contribute 3. Any
suggestions? Thanks!

The error is :

Murray *ACE*
2007-01-18 23:26:02 UTC
Ugh - I really don't know about Contribute in these kinds of things. I
think you'd better contact Adobe.... 8(
--
Murray --- ICQ 71997575
Adobe Community Expert
aljohan
2007-03-05 23:19:07 UTC
I can't rename my configuration folder.
Murray *ACE*
2007-03-05 23:29:01 UTC
Why? Are you sure you are working on the correct one?
--
Murray --- ICQ 71997575
Adobe Community Expert
l***@gmail.com
2007-03-14 11:59:15 UTC
Respect to Murray!!!
Compugasm
2007-04-06 14:15:53 UTC
It seems there is an extra file called "WinFileCache-7A9586CB.dat" being
created. Deleting this file stopped all the errors from occuring. Murrarys post
above tells you how to find the the "Configuration" folder, and that's where
this file is.
c***@gmail.com
2007-04-10 18:09:49 UTC
I think a common misconception that I got caught with is the document
path... make sure you go into the documents & settings folder not the
program files folder.

http://www.cramgraphics.com/
bbjrcanada
2007-05-14 07:58:07 UTC
Yes, exactly and I think this is where most of the problems are coming from. Users are searching in the Program Files instead of locating the HIDDEN folders with the Documents and Settings.
bbjrcanada
2007-05-14 07:55:47 UTC
Everyone seems to be having the same open_ & line 56 problems here... Don't
fear, it is a simple fix...
Dreamweaver 8

The following JavaScript error(s) occurred:

At line 56 of file "D:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver
8\Configuration\Shared\Common\Scripts\dwscriptsExtData.js":
ReferenceError: dwscripts is not defined

Next Step

First, ensure that you are in the DOCUMENTS AND SETTING folder and NOT in the
Program Files folder. The file that you are required to DELETE in order to FIX
this problem is hidden so you must change your setting in order to expose the
file.

To do this, go to "Tools>Folder Options>VIEW>"Hidden Files and Folders">Show
Hidden Files and Folders

Then go back to the Documents and Settings Folder and locate the Dream Weaver
8 Folder. There you will find the folder that you are required to delete.
Remember, you can only see this file if you have change the folder options.

The file you will delete is entitled...

"WinFileCache-59489B2C.dat"

Delete this file and all problems should be solved.

I apologize if I have repeated previous posts but I just wanted to ensure that
everyone has this annoying problem fixed once and for all. The WinFileCache
will re-create itself so don't worry about deleting it. Do not delete the
configuration folder as you only need to delete the single WinCache file.

Have a good night.
mletson
2007-09-20 21:43:14 UTC
Hola,

The problem I have is that there is no such Macromedia directoy under
"username". I have hidden files turned on. The only Macromedia directory on
my machine isunder Program Files. From there, I can find all the files this
post has been discussing.

Is it Ok to perform the suggested fix on this directory?

Thanks,
Mike
joepilot
2007-10-22 20:54:56 UTC
Deleting the .DAT file worked great. The Application Data folder is hidden so
you will need to deal with that. Don't get the Program files, Macromedia etc.
and the Documents and settings etc. mixed up.
mletson
2007-10-22 21:20:40 UTC
Wow! It is amazing to me that Adobe puts out a product that you actually have
to go in and change files in order to get the thing to faithfully work right!

Also, trying to get DW to play with others using VSS is virtually impossible.
We have several other developers and none of them use DW. They all use
Eclipse. Well, I have always liked DW but after so much frustration with DW
and VSS, and stupid javascript errors, I've made the switch to Eclipse.

Everything works fast. No more dreaded work-stopping file hangs when
attempting to open a checked in file. No more javascript errors when opening
the IDE. File opening and saving (when working with VSS) are instantaineous.

Thanks for all of your input but Adobe just lost another customer.

Best Regards,
Mike
umstead12
2008-01-14 18:58:41 UTC
The fixed that Murray described worked for me. I'm using Dreamweaver 8.0.2.
RichardG
2008-07-23 14:57:51 UTC
After a failed shutdown I started having allll sorts of problems the next day,.
This was one of them. Murray's solution fixed 99% of them (thanks Murray!)

I was still getting an onload error which went away after I uninstalled Adobe
Developer Toolbox extension (more trouble than it's worth - I won't miss it)
I suspect that if I reinstalled it and re-registered it that everytihng would
work fine, but less is more lately.
Murray *ACE*
2008-07-23 15:16:19 UTC
Good luck!
--
Murray --- ICQ 71997575
Adobe Community Expert
chikezie24
2009-01-19 20:46:50 UTC
I?m getting the following errors when opening files in Dreamweaver CS4

While executing onload in _onOpen.htm, the following JavaScript error(s)
occurred:
In file "" _onOpen"":
ReferenceError: onOpen is not defined

The above message repeats a few times. After I Press OK and try and open a
file, I get the following error:

The following translators were not loaded due to errors:
ASP.htm has configuration information that is invalid.
Colfusion .htm has configuration information that is invalid.
JSP.htm has configuration information that is invalid.
XSLT.htm has configuration information that is invalid.

I tried renaming the 'configuration' folder to 'xconfiguration' in the Program
Files/Adobe/Adobe Dreamweaver CS4, but that didn't work. Any ideas?
Murray *ACE*
2009-01-19 20:54:37 UTC
Post by chikezie24
I tried renaming the 'configuration' folder to 'xconfiguration' in the Program
Files/Adobe/Adobe Dreamweaver CS4, but that didn't work. Any ideas?
Yes. You didn't follow directions. This is NOT the correct file to rename.
Please return it to the original name, and find the correct one in the user
section of your hard drive folder hierarchy.
--
Murray --- ICQ 71997575
Adobe Community Expert
frustratedee
2009-02-06 11:36:25 UTC

I have tried the above fixes but am still having major problems with DW CS4.

I cannot find the file that Murray is talking about.

When i go to:
C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data

the macromedia folder only has flash in it.

can any one help me, and i'm able to see all hidden files and folders.

Tx